Thursday, March 24, 2011

Finally in Ukraine!!

We are finally in Ukraine! We got in yesterday at about 1pm Ukrainian time and we were all so tired. I tried to stay awake to see the countryside, but it was all but impossible. We got into our room at our hotel, which is pretty nice and then we had a welcoming ceremony with bread and salt. After that, we had our first meal in Ukraine. Chicken and rice!!  Some of us had to get some vaccinations. I had four shots. FOUR. My arms are still sore, but better safe than sorry! They also gave us a medical kit to take with us.

After dinner, I went to sleep at about 8pm and woke up about 7am today. We had some more sessions on what to expect, what we will be doing as teachers, and did some other bureaucratic things. After lunch we will have our first Ukrainian session! I'm very excited. It seems that more people are learning Russian than Ukrainian, which is surprising. I'm excited to learn Ukrainian as I feel it's a language that most people don't have the opportunity to learn.

Tomorrow, we will meet our host families and go off to live with them! We will be in a "cluster" with 4 other volunteers who will live in the same village. We will also have another cluster that will be our "link" and we'll be able to visit them and hang out. I can't wait to meet my host family. Will they have kids? heat? toilet? I guess I'll find out tomorrow! Everything is moving very fast, but very efficiently. Ok, well I'm off to my first Ukrainian lesson. I'll try to update after if I can.

2 comments:

  1. OMG Erin that is so exciting! I can't wait to hear about your host family! Are you going to be teaching English?

    Rose
    educatingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude you're there! You're not allowed to forget me since you're surrounded by other Irina's haha.

    Postcard address:

    THE Irina
    1501 Crystal Drive, Apartment 323
    Arlington, VA 22202
    USA

    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete