Monday, April 11, 2011

I forgot!

How could I forget to write about this!? It was one of the most fabulous experiences I've had so far.

Sunday, I went to James' house to work on our lesson plans together and I had a great time with his family. I showed up during lunch time (I had already eaten lunch, but then I had a second lunch!) and we proceeded to sit and chat over many (many, many) shots of vodka and some beer. We had a great conversation and I learned a few new words I won't repeat here.

Then his host father, James and I listened to heavy metal blasting from James' host father's truck in his driveway. It was very surreal looking over rural Ukraine with Iron Maiden blasting in the background. Luckily, we did get our work done in the end.

Ok, thats all for now.

4 comments:

  1. We have angry geese here, too, Erin! LOL! It's mating season and you're probably encountering Papa Geese who are protecting their mates and their nests. (Then again, it could be all the vodka the geese are imbibing. LOL!)

    Reading all your exciting details reminds me of a Shakespearian quote. We had to memorize such things back in the day...Here it is:

    "There is a tide in the affairs of men,
    Which, taken at the flood, leads on to fortune;
    Omitted, all the voyage of their life
    Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
    On such a full sea are we now afloat,
    And we must take the current where it serves,
    Or lose our ventures."
    -- The Bard (Shakespeare), Julius Caesar, Act IV, Scene III

    You have taken the tide at the flood and won't have any regrets in your life. And that is as it should be. SHINE ON! Can't wait to read the next installment.

    -- Aunt Linda (& Uncle Brad)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK,one more. You know, I start and end my classes with a quote or a poem. (Lucky you! You are the beneficiary of my love of poetry.) This has been a perennial fave:

    “I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, To put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die Discover that I had not lived.”
    -- Henry David Thoreau

    Perhaps your version would begin:

    "I went to the Ukraine..."
    or
    "I joined the Peace Corps..."

    Keep on keeping on!!! I cheer your courage and conviction to live your life as you envision. Shine on!!!

    -- Aunt Linda (& Uncle Brad)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin -- Your Illinois cousins are enjoying your blog! Take Care!! Love, Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- our country director for Ukraine read us the exact same Thoreau quote before we went to our homestays! i like to believe that i'm living life to the fullest!

    and at least now i know why the geese are so angry! :)

    cathy- thanks for reading! i'm glad i can stay in touch with you all!

    ReplyDelete