Sunday, May 1, 2011

In Ukraine, Ambulance is Taxi

Another week in Ukraine! Sometimes time feels like its flying by and sometimes it feels like I just got here. This week has been extremely busy and I have a feeling this coming week will be just as busy. We are teaching double classes on Friday because Monday is a holiday (again) for Labor Day. That means our Ukrainian classes will be even longer so we can have a short on one Friday. We also have to work on our self directed learning projects, grant for our community project, our portfolios, and our summer camp. Busy busy busy! It doesn't sound like too much, but combined with living in a new environment immersed in a new language, it definitely is. But everybody is still having fun and is in good spirits. We also have a new Ukrainian teacher for a few weeks. The PC wants us to experience a different teaching style. His name is Sasha, like almost all men in Ukraine!

I think my Ukrainian is coming along. I can now catch words and some commands when I'm in a group of Ukrainians. There are still many times when people just talk to me and I have absolutely no idea what's going on. It's hardest when that happens with little children! The 5 year old neighbor girls love to try and talk to me and sometimes I just have no idea what they are saying haha.

I also had some more cultural moments this week. For example, usually in America when you are waiting in line for the ATM, people leave a considerable amount of space for the person actually using the ATM. Not in Ukraine. Personal space is very,very different here! The lady behind me was almost touching my back while I was using the ATM! Another moment: yesterday we were waiting for the bus to go to Obukhiv in the morning. The bus stopped, let a lady off, and then rapidly sped off. We were all just very confused as to why the bus didn't stop. Matthew was talking to a Ukrainian guy that we met at the discoteque on Easter Sunday (where you naturally go on Easter in Ukraine) and he told us that a vehicle across the street would take us to Obuhkiv. We walk over there and it turns out that that vehicle was ambulance. So, we all pile into the ambulance and he takes us to Obukhiv! Needless to say, that was an awesome experience. Another experience happened today. I was walking toward the center of town and saw a grandmother and a 10 year old riding on a vespa. Guess who was driving. If you guessed the 10 year old, then you were correct. I'm not sure what the legal driving age in Ukraine is, but I'm pretty sure it's not 10 years old!

Ok, that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment